Why eating healthy really matters. Today a majority of baby boomers have the idea that eating healthy must be expensive and the food probably just tastes bad. Yet in all honesty this is far from the truth. In fact, it has been proven that you can actually save quite a lot of money if you simply learn the best way to prepare healthier meals for your family.
Baby Boomers often struggle with not knowing how to eat healthy or where to start. To help get the greatest generation alive started we have compiled a few healthy eating tips that can begin to help you save and at the same time start your family on the road to becoming healthier.
Can simple changes in your eating healthy habits really change your Baby Boomer life?
Absolutely! When you start to follow healthier eating guidelines, it will not take long till you begin to notice the improved results. Not only will you look better, lose a few of those extra pounds, but you will begin to feel so much better that you just will not believe it is possible. The result will be that soon you begin to think about all the things you have not been able to do that might now be possible. How cool is that Baby Boomer?
Next you will begin to add an exercise activity to those healthy eating guidelines and your results will become much more apparent to you. The top benefits will be a healthier body, much lower blood pressure readings at the doctor’s office, a slimmer waistline as well as the reduced risk of a heart attack or other diseases that are prevalent with unhealthy eating practices.
The initial challenge for most of the Baby Boomer generation will be setting up and then sticking to the eating healthy guidelines which first require that you make up your mind to just do it.
It is paramount that a person decides on their own that they are ready and willing to make changes in their lifestyle that are necessary to implement and continue their healthy eating practices. No amount of pressure from your family or close friends that will make you do this. It must come from within you to be successful. You are the only one who can decide to make the changes. While it is often felt that it is a good idea to talk to your closer friends and even your family members to ensure their support, it is not a have to have item for improving your health.
What Eating Healthy Tips Can A Baby Boomer Easily Do?
In the beginning you will need to start adjusting the way you shop for groceries:
- Never shop for any groceries when you are hungry. Being full makes you spend less on impulse buying.
- A great tip is to begin by making a grocery store list and then just stick to it. This is a huge test!
- Stop any of those checkout line purchases of candy, snack items and just plain junk. You already know that they are not good for you.
- Start shopping around the outer perimeter of your grocery store avoiding those center aisles till you have reached the end of your list. Generally most grocery stores locate their whole foods, fruits, vegetables, meats and breads around the outer edge of the store, with the high processed food groups and other less healthy staple items on the inside aisle.
This turns out to be a little known marketing secret which most people do not know and can greatly impact your purchases. Shopping the outside aisles in the beginning allows you to find a majority of the ingredients for your healthy recipes on your list. This will also save money and help you continue the healthy eating guidelines without overindulging on bad impulse choices.
- A very important rule of thumb to maintain a healthier eating plan is when it comes to healthy eating, try to eat using the 80/20 food plan. This simply means that you should try to eat healthier food groups 80% of your meal times and then allow yourself a treat for the balance of the other 20%. Having said that do not go crazy with this guideline and decide to eat donuts and ice cream for your 20%.
Now Baby Boomer you are ready and able to begin using these simple 5 healthy eating tips to begin to establish a plan for eating that healthier diet while not compromising when it comes to also having a healthier meal plan for your family.
Stay tuned for more information in our continuing series of stepping stones on health and wellness by learning the “no no’s” around eating healthy that try to sabotage your progress.
Now it is time for you to sound off and give us your feedback by letting us know what you have found to work when it comes to shopping for groceries and also eating healthy in general.
Thanks for taking your “Boomers Magic” today!